Saturday, January 9, 2021

Charades for Practicing Simple Past

 Level: 3B de la eso

I have had a couple sections of 3 de la eso students that did not have a teacher for the first 3 months of school because of the COVID related teacher shortage in Madrid. The students' English level is very low, and because my Spanish is also pretty low it was very difficult to plan activities to do with them. However, I did figure out a few activities that were pretty successful. Here's an example of one that really worked: a game of charades. The activity started with each student instructed to write a list of several things they did last summer, using the simple past (because that is what we had been focusing on.) Because it's hard for them to think up English verbs on the spot and they tend to need prompting, I provided them a big list of sample verbs to use. After they had written the list, they took turns acting out an item on their list in front of the whole class without using words. If another student could guess the action (using the simple past i.e. "you drove a car.") that student would get a point. I kept score on the chalkboard. At first it was difficult to get students to volunteer, but once I offered them a point for volunteering as well as for guessing correctly, they became more bold. In both classes I did the activity with, by the end pretty much everyone was having fun, and some of the students actually got pretty competitive about the points!

Here's the link: Simple past charades

No comments:

Post a Comment

Portfolio Intro

Hello! Yes, Hello. My name is Aedan. Yes, Aedan. I am a 24 year old teacher and writer from Seattle. Or, I guess, I will be a teacher and w...